Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent

This Wednesday marked the beginning of the newest Church season. I usually dread the season of Lent...fasting and penance, winter weather and dreary days. But this year Lent has come with a new hope for me. We have gotten over the surgery hump, are well into the homeschooling groove, and are blessed with Daddy's new job this year. The weather has gotten warm again, the sun is shining, and I'm hopeful for a springtime full of new joys!

I actually took time this year to ponder what kind of Lenten commitments we would make. Usually it sneaks up on me. I'll elaborate on those later, but for now I'll post a couple pictures from our first Lenten Crown of Thorns which will become a Crown of Glory at Easter! When the children perform an act of charity, a special sacrifice, or another good deed they get to take a thorn (toothpick) off of the crown. At Easter they should all be gone and we'll paint and decorate the beautiful Crown of Glory! It's working well so far.

Mary Clare kneading the salt dough


Crown in the oven!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, I love it!

Elizabeth said...

I'm totally jonesing on you crown, there. Ours came out quite...interesting. Anyway, lets hope it still gets the point across.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs