Sunday, February 08, 2009

Bless the Lord my soul, who heals the brokenhearted

Many of you know that I've been a member of the Catholic lay movement, Regnum Christi, for about 4 years. And many of you have probably heard or read about the terrible scandal regarding the founder of Regnum Christi and its priestly branch, the Legionaries of Christ. It has now been proven that the now-deceased Fr. Marcial Maciel led a double life, including a long-term relationship with a woman, fathering a child with her, and very likely the many allegations of the sexual abuse are true as well.

This news has come with many difficult emotions for those involved with Regnum Christi, and honestly I just haven't been sure how to write about this. My emotions are still raw, my heart is still hurting, and my soul is so so sorry for those who have been harmed and betrayed by Fr. Maciel's sins, both in the past and the present day. This includes the entire Church, who is hurt by this scandal.

There are many more eloquent people writing about this and new apologies and information coming out each day. I'm keeping abreast of new press releases through the American Papist blog. He has recently posted a link to the video of the two wonderful and well-known Legionary priests who appeared on EWTN on Friday. Please keep in your prayers all the Legionaries and Regnum Christi members as we seek healing and peace from Christ and as the future of these institutions is discerned and possibly reformed. And most of all, we pray for all those victims of sexual abuse who have been betrayed and harmed more deeply than I can imagine.

"The LORD rebuilds Jerusalem, gathers the dispersed of Israel,
Heals the brokenhearted, binds up their wounds,
Numbers all the stars, calls each of them by name.
Great is our Lord, vast in power, with wisdom beyond measure.
The LORD sustains the poor, but casts the wicked to the ground."
Psalm 147:2-6

4 comments:

Lerin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, and the pain it is causing. :(

Neen said...

In prayer for you and the church.

Kimberly said...

That was well said Blair.

I am praying too...

Kristen said...

I am really sorry to hear about this too. I was hoping none of it was true. Well, God has definitely brought a ton of good from it! All of you in Regnum Christi that I know work so hard to keep us all involved in growing in our faith! ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs