Wednesday, February 18, 2009

10 Minutes to a Room You'll Love-My Master Bath



I've been reading these little 10-minute makeovers at the Nesting Place each week and have been doing little fix-ups here and there, in the kitchen, the living room, the bedrooms, and the master bath! If I need a room to do a quick clean-up, it's usually the bathroom. So I decided to do a quick re-do on our master bath.

Back in the day, I would dream about buying our first home. One of the things I would most look forward to and dream about was my own bathroom, complete with a light and airy look and featuring a huge soaking tub.

Well...I got the dream home but not the dream bathroom. I don't even have a bathtub...poor me. I finally painted our bedroom about a year and a half ago, then started my bathroom but only got about one coat painted in the toilet area before having a baby and having no time for painting! So I abandoned any hope at improving my bathroom until the painting gets done, figuring that no one goes in there anyway!

Well this week in the midst of caring for Mary Clare after her knee surgery and Steven Joseph with a cold and ear infections, of course was the PERFECT time to redecorate my bathroom ;) Actually I think it has helped with stress relief to keep my mind on something else. I've also been doing all sorts of hanging projects all over the house; I've had out my hammer and basket o' nails all week!

I admit this took a bit longer than 10 minutes. I had to clean off the counters, "shop the house" for items to use for decoration (no money was spent on this), and I know I spent more than 10 minutes attempting to use nails then upholstry tacks to hang the cut-up sheet under the "changing table." But it was worth the time! Here goes:

Before:
(Go ahead and click on it; I linked the huge picture.
What a horrible mess!)


After:
(Ahh, it just makes me take a deep breath and smile.
You can click on this one to see the full effect too.)


the other angle


little tray with shells and candles


and the needed "changing table" area
got its own face lift

still need some help with that material underneath,
and I still hope to paint the room in a silvery blue soon,
and maybe add some other accessories for height. Maybe a lamp?
but this is worlds better!

And since it's 1am and my baby still refuses to sleep, I'll go ahead and recount what I did to transform this room, thanks to The Nester's tutorials.

~cleaned off countertops. put away all brushes, shaving cream, hair dryers, etc.
~"shopped the house" for some pretty trays, vases, and bowls.
~used our nice big white fish platter and wooden salad bowl to hold things
~also used a few napkins and placemats to add some color
~fishbowl vase with shells and candles
~stole one of my favorite beach pictures of the girls from their room
~grabbed the cute ribbon mirror which I'd never hung in the nursery (and added ribbon), and hung it up to cover the metalware that was previously holding a big mirror that wouldn't stay up
~hung 2 beach prints from a garage sale and laid the other big one against the wall
~cleaned off all the changing table mess and put it in drawers or under the counter
~found a nice white basket for the diapers
~cut an old striped fitted sheet in half and tacked it under the drawers; still needs some fixin'
-found a big piece of blue material to set under the changing pad for some added color
~a white tin bucket for toothbrushes/toothpaste/razors
~and the old little standing towel rack was found in the cabinets
Any other ideas for me?

Okay better run, we have a diaper mess on the floor. Lovely.
Thanks for visiting!



26 comments:

These Are The Days said...

Awe, very nice job. Makes such a difference. :)

leigh ann said...

What a difference! Love your "about me" rhyme!

The Nester said...

Y'all, if you haven't read Blair's about me please do. It's got real flair.

Nice work and what a great vanity that is!

Melissa said...

Blair, your bathroom looks great!!! I had to laugh as I was reading this post because I do the same thing in my house all the time. My poor husband never knows what he'll come home to each night! :)

And I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of and praying for your sweet Mary Clare this week. I'm reminded of when Caitlyn broke her leg last year at about this same time. Not quite the same situation, but close enough to really empathize with you all! I'm glad to hear she's doing well!

Unknown said...

Wonderful job, you're lucky to have such a large bathroom!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Blair! I love that website, thanks to you for sharing it. I frequently do this as well and am always amazed with what I can get from around the house. Of course, it always helps with a little guidance from the site! :-) We just re-decorated our master bedroom because I was inspired by the site. It looks so much better and I don't know why it took almost 4 years to change it up! HA!

candyspirit said...

Hi Sis!
Wow how did you find time to do all that??? It's amazing what a little re arrangng and cleaning up can do - Our 'decorator daughter on a mission'!!! Of course I love the colors - my favorite!! can't wait to see it today!!!
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom looks so nice!

Kimberly said...

Blair, you obviously have a gift! The bathroom lookes so pretty. I want to paint ours so badly...white countertops, walls, and cabinets...too much white! I hope to paint it a silvery gray someday.

I have a big jaccuzi tub which I practically never use. You are welcome to come over and soak in it anytime!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

It looks so good! I'll bet it feels great in there.

Lillian said...

Looks beautiful!!!! Love it! And I love your changing area! ;-)

trish said...

Pretty-pretty-pretty! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Love your rhyme Blair! So funny, shows your personality right off the bat. You did a great job here, love the fabric under the table. Doesn't it just make you feel good all over????
~Misti

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Looks great! So much more relaxing!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Your diaper changing area is so nice!
-Kim

Anonymous said...

Amazing woman you are! How in the world do you find time and energy for all the things you do?!! Your bathroom looks lovely --and if you want practice you are welcome to spend 10 minutes in any of my rooms anytime! :)
X O X O
Bev

Elizabeth said...

Nice job, Blair!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love the blue and white theme you have going on! It looks great. I think a lamp would really cozy it up. I also love the material under the changing table. Very cute and can hide baby supplies.

Great job!

Jen

Jodi said...

big difference for sure! yea!

The Masked Mommy said...

First of all, nice job! It looks great! Second of all, I love your "about me"! So original! Also, I was looking at your links and wanted to say we are also a Catholic, NFP family, and my husband totally graduated from Our Mother of Divine Grace :-)

~~Rhonda said...

Great job, Blair! I love the ribbon around the mirror frame. So cute! Re: the fabric under the changing table...how about using sticky velcro? Or put a pocket in the top of the fabric and slide it onto a tension rod. A little tweaking there will go a long way. You made great changes. And in my favorite color! :) ~~Rhonda

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Wow! What a makeover!

Anonymous said...

I stopped by from Nester... I love that you have a little changing station in your bathroom. You did a fabulous job!

Wendy said...

I especially love the shells and tray!!

Unknown said...

I love your special touches...like the ribboned mirror.

happyhome said...

Absolutely AMAZING! Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs