Friday, July 06, 2012

Patriotic Cake Balls

I had some success making cake balls this time, and I think they were a favorite at our July 4th Party, if I do say so myself!  So I thought I'd share how I made them...

Started with a boxed cake mix.  I actually made two of them.  Then I crushed it up and put it in the mixer bowl with a little less than half a tub of frosting.

I just kept adding large spoonfuls of frosting to the mix, until I got a consistency like cookie dough.

On previous attempts, I've done this mixing step by hand.  Using the stand mixer made it so much easier!

After mixing, I rolled the dough into small balls, about 2 inches in diameter.  I put them on cookie sheets or cutting boards and placed them in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to set.

Here's my little helper!  Everyone else in the family was taking a nap during this time, so he was my assistant and was so happy to help!

Now here's where we lose the camera images.  Of course I couldn't take pictures during the hard part!
I used a pot on the stove to heat up the candy melts (also called white candy bark found near the baking chocolate).  Last time they burned in the microwave, so this time I kept the stove on low, kept stirring, and removed the pan as soon as the candy was melting.  I think a double boiler works best, but I didn't even have anything to use on top at that point...lots of dirty dishes!

Once the candy is melted, I used two spoons to dip the balls into the candy coating.  I tapped the spoons on the side of the bowl to remove some excess, and then carefully placed them back on the tray.  After making about 3-4 balls, I added the sprinkles.  If I waited longer than that, the candy was already starting to set and the sprinkles wouldn't stick!

I put them back in the freezer to set, again 5-10 minutes, then stacked them in a tupperware container with the large pretzel sticks I made (also a party hit!).  I wish there were some leftover to take home!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs