Tuesday, October 05, 2010

On the other side...

It's hard to believe that 2 weeks have already flown by! Spending 9 months awaiting the arrival of each child, it's always odd to think about how one day I am big and pregnant and then after a day of pain and/or fear so intense I am sure the world is going to end, all of a sudden I am "on the other side" and enjoying life with my sweet little newborn.

And enjoying life we are. When you wake up to this every morning, how can you not?


I marvel each day in the fact that Thomas is out of my belly, he is a new child in our family, and we are both healthy and recovering so well from my 4th c-section. Each time I face delivery, I am filled with the fears of all the complications that could occur. With every surgery I am aware of a few other complications, a few other people I've heard about who have not had such an easy go of labor and delivery.

And so I am so thankful to God that we have not had to face any of those hurdles so far. Each of these children belong to God, though, and I know that whatever obstacles come our way we will be able to face them with His help. Tomorrow our sweet Thomas will be baptized as a child of God. His little soul will be cleansed and he will be filled with God's grace and salvation. I happened to read a beautiful reflection on early baptism among Catholics. Here are a few important statements regarding just that...

Parents are obliged to see that their infants are baptised within the first few weeks. As soon as possible after the birth, indeed even before it, they are to approach the parish priest to ask for the sacrament for their child, and to be themselves duly prepared for it. If the infant is in danger of death, it is to be baptised without any delay. Can. 867 §1,§2

The children shall be baptized first. All of the children who can answer for themselves, let them answer. If there are any children who cannot answer for themselves, let their parents answer for them, or someone else from their family. (Apostolic Tradition # 21)

People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. (Luke 18:15-17 NIV)

Thanks be to God for this awesome gift of Baptism. And thanks to our family, friends, and Fr. Matthias who will celebrate the sacrament with us tomorrow. Please keep us in prayer.

1 comment:

Lerin said...

He is SO gorgeous!!! Congratulations, Blair!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs