Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Baked Potato Soup
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 large potatoes
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1. Peel, slice, boil, and drain potatoes until falling apart (or bake, peel, and mash if you have time!), meanwhile fry bacon
2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.
3. Add flour into the vegetable mixture; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
4. Add potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in 1/4 cup green onions. Cook until thoroughly heated (do not boil)
6. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, green onions and bacon. Yum!
(modified from YumSugar, which modified from Cooking Light)
And last night was a modified Pioneer Woman's Monday Night Stir Fry (didn't have stuff like Ginger or Arrowroot or Peanut Oil and used the fresh veggies I had on hand). Hubby gave it a thumbs up!
Now...what for dinner tonight...I've got three chicken breasts defrosted and ready for something new! Maybe I'll update with my concoction later today!