Sunday, June 29, 2014

Answer Me This and WIWS

Linking up with Kendra at Catholic All Year


1. How often do you take public transportation?
Pretty much never.  About once a year we ride the trolley around The Woodlands, and when I was pregnant with Ellie we took the Houston Metro Rail train a few times.  I saw a doctor in the Medical Center and the cost for parking there is outrageous, so we'd park down the street and take the train.  On vacation we've taken shuttle buses and of course the train, subway, and buses on our pilgrimage to Italy.


I do have one funny story about a train ride in Italy.  Steven thought it would be a good idea to take the train to the Trastevere section of Rome, instead of just a bus or subway.  We wanted to go to the church of Santa Cecilia.  So we arrived at the train station and found the "correct" train, even asking a lady who was waiting for the same train.  She assured us that indeed we were getting on the train to Trastevere.  But after a few minutes, we started to see the countryside and realized that we were not in Rome anymore!  We stopped once and our kind "friend" was getting off the train.  She leaned over and said, "Trastevere, next stop."  We were pretty sure she was messing with us, but we waited until the next stop to actually get off the train and figure out how to get back to Rome!

Another challenging public transportation story in Rome was similar to Kendra's Mexico story.  It happened when we got on the wrong bus along with our friends (we traveled with three other newlywed couples to Italy to meet the pope).  Apparently there was a Bus 79 along with a Bus 79/.  So we accidentally got on the "Seventy-Nine-Slash" bus and ended up on the wrong side of town.  I think we were also warned by someone that this was not the bus we wanted to be on, but one of us had the brilliant idea that we'd just ride the bus back around again and get off where we had gotten on.  This was my first experience of watching someone use illegal drugs just a few seats away.  And unfortunately when we got to the end of the route, the bus driver ordered us all off the bus at the depot.  Us and the drug user, that is.  We had to wait about 30 minutes for another train to take us back into the city. Thankfully we made it back, but what an adventure!


2. How many cousins do you have?

I have 13 cousins, but sadly don't see them hardly at all.  We had one set of cousins living in our neighborhood growing up, but they were quite a bit older and we weren't very close.  Steven, on the other hand, has more cousins than he can name; he says it's over 60.  His dad had 10 siblings, so that multiplies his number quite a bit! My own kids have 2 cousins on my side (I just have one brother), and 14 on Steven's side (he's youngest of seven), so 16 in all, and I'm not sure they'll gain any more first cousins.  But we have some fun holiday celebrations with his family and all the crazy kiddos!
Christmas 2013 at Grampatti and BopBop's house



3. Have you ever fired a gun?

I've only fired a bb gun when I taught "rifle sports" as a counselor at The Pines Catholic Camp.  My big kids have all shot a gun and gone hunting with Steven.  He really wants me to try a shooting range, but it's not really my thing.  He'll probably get me there one of these days though, because I'd like to feel more comfortable with one in case I should ever have to use one in an emergency.

Here are the kids getting a gun safety lesson 
from Steven and their godfather Enrique at the farm.


4. Do you ride roller coasters?

I used to love roller coasters, but I don't think I've ridden one since my early 20s.  The past two times we've been to a theme park, both Disneyland and Disney World, I've been pregnant and have opted to avoid the roller coasters since I already have somewhat high risk pregnancies.  I don't think I'd like them much anymore, since I'm now afraid of heights.  My kids were all really brave, and even the 5yr old went on roller coasters last year!

Splash Mountain Sept 2013


5. What's your favorite flower?

Tulips, ever since this memorable day...



6. Are you allergic to anything?

Not that I know of!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And what I wore Sunday....
New skirt from Old Navy!  Yay!
My last white peasant skirt was stained with black ink a few years ago, 
but I have kept wearing it  because I like it so much.  It was time for a new one :)

I survived Monday through Friday without Daddy!
I felt like SuperMom last week.  It was a lot of work, but we survived with a lot of crafts and about three playdates over here.  Thankfully we have a short week ahead and are working on plans for a fun Independence Day weekend.  What will your families do to celebrate?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs