Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day and Family Legacy

So, Memorial Day was yesterday, but I couldn't seem to find the time to blog and spent way too long trying to upload a couple of these to Facebook.  We didn't really celebrate Memorial Day in true Americana picnic fashion; we said goodbye to our friends after a honey harvest from our beehive and went out for a diner dinner and drive that evening.  But...we did have a pre-Memorial Day outing the weekend before while in San Antonio!  

All my trips to San Antonio as a child were to visit my grandparents, Nana and Pops.  We visited them most summers and spent many lovely days at parks, zoos, and museums with the family.  It felt odd being in San Antonio without visiting their home.  I sure miss them!  Now this gravesite is the physical marker of my grandparents' life.  It was an honor to be able to pay our respects and see the beautiful Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.





Before visiting my grandparents, we stopped in front of the house near Ft. Sam where my mom grew up.  It was a very nice visit and was topped off by our trip to the zoo which I'll hopefully share in my next post!
~~~

Also on my heart right now is my brother as he prepares to complete his deployment to the Gulf.  He should be home in a few weeks and I can't wait to see him and his family, especially our sweet one year-old niece who we have yet to meet!  I am so grateful for all our military heroes and for their families, especially their spouses and children, who make such sacrifices for our freedom.  May the souls of the faithful departed, those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for peace in the world, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
~~~

Yesterday was also the birthday of Steven's grandfather, his dad's dad, Edward Bradley B.  How special it was to find out that one of Steven's uncles would be visiting us this week!  So, this evening we were blessed with the presence of Uncle Barney to be a light of God's love and mercy to our family.  He is here to visit a dying friend (please offer a prayer for him), but he has also given me a gift.  I am so grateful for the encouragement that family and friends give when I most need it.  I know God is real because he speaks through people and works through prayers.  Thanks to Uncle Barney for being God's messenger of love and mercy and for seeing His works in all things.
~~~

When Mary Clare was taking ballet back in Aggieland, the recital theme was "Legacy" which came from a beautiful song by Nichole Nordeman that has continued to be one of my favorites.  The lyrics to the chorus speak to me about the blessings of the family gone before me.  Will I leave that kind of legacy???

 I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

1 comment:

Neen said...

It was a great day, it sounds like. The day must have such meaning because of your brother. We continue to pray for his safe return home and are so thankful for all that are willing to fight for our freedoms.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs