Monday, December 29, 2008

Grocery Store Play-by-Play

Today I thought I'd entertain myself by capturing all the funny moments of our grocery store adventure. This is why I don't like to grocery shop! We actually had a wonderful relaxing day today, even getting some schoolwork done. And the grocery trip wasn't too crazy, just your run-of-the-mill average adventure with 3 young children! Here goes...

Must go grocery shopping.
I'll leave this mess, and this cooking dinner


She'll finish a writing project


and I'll take note of a shopping list
right "here"
i always lose the list anyway


Now I'm ready and everyone is dressed with shoes on!
I sweep this foam out of baby's mouth:


Ellie decides she needs to bring something to write on.
Scouring the house for the "perfect" backpack
to bring to the grocery store.


Here she is! Ready with her lime green backpack.
Which I'll note DID make it into the grocery store cart
But was never opened the entire trip
and was probably left in the van.


Stevie decides he'd like to unlock
the dishwasher with my car keys


And finally everyone is making it outside.
Only to find the girls doing this!


But that's okay, because these seats are in the garage
and need to be installed back into the minivan...


...which is parked here.
and needs to be pulled back into the driveway
so I can put the carseats in.


Okay, seats are in, kids are in.
But where is my cell phone?
I run inside and call it.
Can you find it here?


Alright, now I know the girls have buckled themselves
while I ran inside...right?


Finally, we make it to the store
and they didn't fight at all
about who would sit next to SJ, right?


In we go. They are always doing great
in the produce section!
Sometimes I even get comments there
about how cute and good my kids are.

Just wait until I get to the frozen foods, people.
Paper goods, frozen foods, baby section--
that's where I just get evil eyes!

Live lobsters are sitting out today. Cool.


and free chocolate donuts are sitting out too. Yum!


Things start to get a little hairy
on the pasta and soup aisle (about halfway through)


It's getting really bad by the pet aisle
and I don't know how I'm going to get
that giant bag of dog food on my cart.
I had to get the smaller bag.


This is the point where SJ is released from his prison seat.


But after he trips and falls on his head
(see his red forehead while he's pulling down margarine tubs)
and refuses to follow us down the aisle
I decide it's time for the Moby wrap!


Ellie getting wild and crazy.
Gotta love the stripes/floral ensemble
and her jacket stuck under the wheel of the cart!


Almost done,
happy mama
heading to the checkout

Now I won't say whether or not
I bribed the girls with treats ;)

The checker just stared at me for a second
then started scanning my stuff
turns out I was in this lane:

oops
he forgave me
and a nice lady helped me bag my stuff
even though she was off duty

I definitely didn't have 10 items or less!


quiet kids on the way home
sleeping baby who even transferred to the bed at home


groceries ready to be put away

and I totally enjoyed putting them away
in our "new" fridge!

The girls may or may not
have been feasting on M&Ms and a popsicle
and "pirate booty" which they joked about all evening

So that's my grocery day!
Hope you enjoyed it,
and I'm sure many of you can relate!

and a bonus picture of SJ at dinner
His shirt says "Little Farmer" :)

crockpot roast turned out good
Steven says any questionable meat
can always be enjoyed
when you offer it with mashed potatoes :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I am exhausted!!!!
You are a good mom :-)
signed
Theresa In Alberta

kelly said...

That was great! You know I can relate, and I am very happy to see your "realistic" pictures of your home. You know what I mean, right? Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with little messes all over sometimes! LOL!

Lerin said...

I'm impressed with you! I an't believe you go without a list and don't have to go back four times for everything you forgot... lol. I know how difficult shopping with three kids is. In fact, I have gotten to the point where I absolutely REFUSE to go shopping on my own with the kids. It has to be a family affair, after one too many incidences of lost babies and once, a stolen diaper bag! I'm thinking when baby four arrives, I'll be even more distracted.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post!!! lol I loved how well you documented just how difficult it is to only get out the door!!!!
Grocery shopping used to be one of my favorite things, now, its pretty tough!!!

Neen said...

I love this post. You remind me why we ate out all the time before I had ones old enough to babysit.

Kimberly said...

My humble advice...put all the kids to bed, and THEN to the store. I am calm, there are no whinny kids, and I usually remember to use my coupons.

Colleen said...

Definitely can relate! But, it made me feel tired just reading about your trip. I guess I'm having flashbacks to my own last trip to the store with three kids. :)

Blair said...

Glad you guys enjoyed my play-by-play. I know you all can relate!

Kelly-my house is always like that, little messes unless I'm having company ;)

Lerin-too bad my hubby does not like "family" shopping trips...I love them!

Neen-we still eat out quite a bit, since I don't like shopping and don't really like cooking...well, hopefully it will be better when the kids are older, right?

Kimberly-if only my kids were in bed early enough for me to shop on my own! Every now and then I'm adventurous enough, but usually by the time they're asleep I'm exhausted and baby still awakens frequently for mommy milk :-/

Stay tuned for more play-by-play adventures :)

The Baskette Boys! said...

Absolutely the funniest post I've ever read. The photos are priceless and I LOVED your play-by-play. Happy early bday to Mary Claire!! :)

Lindsey said...

You, my dear, are either a very brave, or a very mad woman.

I avoid taking all of my kids to the grocery store (no matter the time of day, but ESPECIALLY on weekends or holidays) when I'm alone. I'm okay with one child or maybe 2.

I was at HEB today, too, and it was a crazy place! I think almost as busy as opening day.

Happy New Year, and all the best to your beautiful family in 2009!

Becky said...

Too funny. You have a good sense of humor about it -- I'm generally too nervewracked and irritated to be in a good mood.

GardenKinder said...

You have such patience! I send my hubby on a thousand en-route shopping trips a month in order to avoid this very same chaos. I don't see any photo evidence of kids darting to the end of the isle, and deeking around the corner. That's my kids specialty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs