Monday, January 17, 2011

My big girl


I still can't believe she's 8. I have a different relationship with MC than the others. She has always been wise beyond her years. I feel like she is always one step ahead of me. She's awake and making her breakfast while I'm still in bed. She sometimes gets to the crying baby before I do. She has totally taken responsibility for cleaning her ears with the new earrings; she was distraught when she found out we wouldn't be home at lunchtime today because she'd miss a cleaning!

Sometimes she thinks she can't control her actions or her impulses. But when she makes up her mind to do something, she will make it happen. Recently, she's been saying she wants to be a pediatrician when she grows up. She has blossomed so beautifully in the dance studio. She is learning to control her body and to control her impulses. She is focused and determined.

I continue to quiz her on her Catechism; I want to be sure she knows Who she is about to receive. She knows. She wants to continue to go to Confession...I am moved that an 8 year-old is so desiring of that sacrament. She is so happy to be learning the Latin prayers. She said that she was waiting the entire mass for the Pater Noster on Sunday.

She is a lot like her daddy. She has interests in all different subjects. She likes learning about the world, about science and animals. The writing and the spelling and the neatness are not there...but she knows her stuff.

I'm so thankful that I have her here with me every day. I get to watch her learn, watch her grow, watch her teach her siblings, and find her way in the world. We may not get along some days...but I know that deep down she has a heart of gold and she is going places. It's a privilege to be by her side.

4 comments:

Melissa D. said...

what a wonderful post about an obviously wonderful girl . . . with a pretty fabulous momma too!

Melissa said...

That was lovely, Blair. And such a beautiful photo of your big girl!

veronica said...

lovely :)

Shelly said...

That sounds a lot like my oldest. Though not quite to the same extent since she's only four. :)
What a beautiful post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
site design by designer blogs